Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A typical day at work

I love my job.  It is never the same two days in a row, and my job seems to contain a lot of "all other duties as assigned" so it keeps me entertained and challenged.  It's difficult to explain how awesome and all-encompassing my job really is.  Here's an example of a typical day at work (today):

  • I began my morning by presenting a data report that I had created to the School Readiness Team.  The report was basically awesome and contained some pretty statistically sound data, all presented in really sharp looking graphs.  I created every single step of it, from tracking all the data in Excel to figuring out what exactly we wanted to show with it to writing complex formulas in order to analyze everything to plotting it all in cute little graphs to writing it all up in a report.  
  • By this time it was time for lunch so I went to Chic Fil A with my coworkers and while we were eating our delicious food we got laughing so hard that several of my coworkers were in tears.  My coworkers are SO cool.
  • After lunch I got to problem solve:  there was a crockpot lid that had fallen down into this giant gaping hole in a corner of the kitchen between two 8 foot tall cupboards and had been given up for lost.  I built a contraption out of a pole, several rulers, a heavy duty magnet, and lots of packing tape, and then using a stepladder I was able to hoist myself up and there was just enough room below the ceiling to stretch out across the top of the cupboard and go "fishing" for the lid.  It took a few tries but I managed to hook the lid and carefully pull it all the way up and out!  Then I made a makeshift hole cover out of poster paper and tape so that hopefully this won't happen again  :)
  • Next I met with one of my favorite new coworkers to go over her 45-day orientation.
  • Finally I finished up my day by doing a random assortment of odds and ends - updating the staff roster and printing off a new copy for each employee, writing up a requisition for some needed program supplies, editing a few reports, fixing an error on our database, updating the staff calendar through Dec 2013, etc.  
 Isn't my job AWESOME??

1 comment: