Monday, September 3, 2012

The 6 Greatest Things about doing Grad School Online

6.  No group projects - ever!  This means not having to find times that will work with all of your schedules, so that you can sit together for three hours trying to compromise on how the project should be done, so that then you can ultimately do all the work when your projectmates don't follow through.

5.  Despite what you're thinking, you still get plenty of opportunities to interact with your classmates.  Only instead of knowing someone as "that freakin annoying kid who stops the teacher seventy times during lecture to have them re-explain things", I know my fellow classmates as "he's the kid who is interested in Russian History" or "that's the woman who takes the time to read and comment on everyone else's paper."

4.  There are no surprises.  You know exactly what the entire semester is going to look like, including when everything is due.  Even quizzes are announced most of the time.

3.  You can work on school literally any time you want!  If I choose to wake up at 3 in the morning and listen to my professor's lecture for the class, I can do that.  Not that I would . . .

2.  You can skip a day or two, anytime you need to.  Because classes have assignments, lectures, and readings by the week, if I go out of town on Saturday and don't come back until Wednesday I don't have to worry about missing important lectures or assignments - as long as I catch them by Sunday I am good to go.

1.  I think I'm going to go listen to my professor's lecture for the week.  And you know what?  I think I'm going to take a nice long bubble bath while I do.  And maybe eat some ice cream while I'm at it.  Mmmm that's my idea of a good lecture.



Have I convinced you all yet? 

4 comments:

  1. what are you studying?

    as you can imagine, I was the person who was always stopping the professor to ask questions. without always asking, sometimes they just saw that look on my face and knew I had one. which would be a disadvantage of doing grad school online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and your poll is closed, while it is tempting to vote 'astrophysicist' part of me says, would you rather know someone like Robyn who offers free pie to people that is a billionaire? so, billionaire astrophysicist would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! A Billionaire astrophysicist would be pretty sweet . . . I'm studying Library and Information Science through Kent State University, and I'm loving it! You might still really like online classes though - because you can stop the lecture and re-listen to anything you didn't understand, over and over . . . another perk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was going to go to school once I get my bachelors, I would take your advice for sure. But, I'm going for a step up and just quitting after I've been a success the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete