Sunday, December 5, 2010

Journeying through Fog


Today I made an epic journey from Logan to Salt Lake and back through some pretty intense fog. As I was driving through the swirling vortexes of mist, I often couldn't see more than 10 feet ahead of me, and on both sides of the road was just a blank white expanse. There could literally have been an elephant standing five feet from the road and I would never have known. I realized how easy it would have been to become lost in the fog, since I had no way of knowing where I was at and I simply had to trust that as long as I followed the road I would safely make it to my destination. Since I couldn't see ahead of me into the gloom and had to rely only on the little white lines guiding my path, I was often surprised when the road would suddenly curve and twist in a different direction than I was expecting. I had no clue which way the road would curve next, or when the next bend would come, but I had faith that if I just kept following those cute little dashed lines then eventually I would make it to my destination.

Just as I was driving through the thickest fog in the middle of the canyon, it suddenly vanished completely and I could see for miles in all directions. I looked back into the wet mist from which I'd come and saw only clouds of white obscuring everything from view. As I once again looked ahead to the road that I could now see so clearly, I realized with amazement that the sun was shining and the sky was a beautiful blue. It had been impossible to tell this while everything was shrouded in fog, and I'd assumed that the sky was gray and that it might start snowing at any minute. But now all the world was clear and bright again, I could tell exactly where I was at on my journey, and I was confident of my destination once again.

And then I had an epic realization and I decided that life is like one giant journey. At times our way seems confusing and unclear, and it takes sudden turns that we're not expecting. But then there are the moments of clarity, when everything once again becomes lucid and the destination is practically in sight. The sun starts shining again and warms you to your very core. Of course, the sun was always there, shining brightly, but you just couldn't see it because the fog was obscuring it from view. These brief moments of clarity when you can see your path before you give you strength so that when you have to dip down through the next fog-filled valley you have the confidence to continue faithfully following the road until you reach the next peak and emerge again into the sunshine.

Right now I'm traveling through a foggy part of my journey. My life keeps taking unexpected turns and literally anything could be ahead, just barely out of sight in the fog. I have no idea what's in store or where my life will go next, but I am confident that eventually I will reach my destination so I will happily move forward into the fog until I can reach my next sun-filled peak.

2 comments: